Thursday 13 April 2017

Top 10 Wrestlers Past and Present...other than 'Taker

I think it's pretty much a given that the Undertaker is my (and a lot of peoples) favourite wrestler of all time. I could gush on forever about how great the Deadman is, but I've already done so, therefore, the Undertaker will NOT be appearing on this list. Redundancy and all that jazz. It'd be like me doing a revised top ten songs list - and if you don't know what the number one song is always going to be, you're either a new reader (in which case, hi there!) or you just don't know me at all ("I Can't Dance" by Genesis, okay?).

Now, I'm not the best judge of wrestling ability. So while I can appreciate good spots, I'm more after people who can just make me laugh and enjoy myself. I love watching wrestlers who not only hit hard in the ring, but can keep me entertained outside of matches too.

So here are my Top Ten Favourite Wrestlers - other than the Undertaker!

10. William Regal

He's British, he's hilarious, he's tough, he's just so much fun! And that voice is something to DIE for! I can't decide whether his run with Dave Taylor against Brian Kendrick and Paul London or his run with Eugene is my favourite. Maybe his time as the Commissioner is my favourite... He's man...such a man...

9. Daniel Bryan

I remember when this guy took down the Wyatt family in a Steel Cage, and had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand afterwards. I was just like "Wow." I was stunned. Although I absolutely ADORED him as part of Team Hell No. Especially once you threw Randy Orton into the mix. Poor Randy.

8. Triple H

When this guy wants to be funny, he can be pretty funny. I can still remember him crashing the Edge/Vicki Guerrero wedding. He's also fairly intimidating, and can make just about anyone look good in the ring. But my favourite memories of him are easily when he's paired with the Heartbreak Kid, Shawn Michaels as D-Generation X. Oh irrelevant humour, how I love thee!

7. Rey Mysterio

I also have a soft spot for underdogs, and Rey Mysterio is the ultimate underdog. I love his fast, high-flying style and his never-say-die attitude. It's so much fun to watch him go up against some of the biggest guys in the business and just deck them. The 619 is one of my favourite moves of all time, and just looks so much fun!

6. Randy Orton

I think it's because he's pretty much the polar opposite of John Cena (who is okay, I guess) which totally appeals to my Slytherin nature. I love watching him systematically take his opponents apart, especially when he "loses it" and goes for the head punt. Oooh does he give me the shivers sometimes!

5. Edge

Between this guy and Christian, I could die laughing. While he's not quite as entertaining without Christian, he can still work the mic very well. He'd probably be higher on the list if he continued being the funny guy instead of becoming the more sadistic Ultimate Opportunist. Eh. I still loved how he destroyed the laptop of the Anonymous General Manager, and his promos with Kurt Angle still give me bellyache from the laughter.

4. Vicki Guerrero

She wrestled at least one match, so she counts! Simply put, this woman was THE best heel in the business for a long time. Even today if someone says "Excuse me" I'm tempted to scowl. She lied, cheated and stole better than anyone else in the company, and it was just so entertaining! I think a big part of the appeal is that once she got power, she abused it just like all of us want to do but are too "morally upstanding" to do.

3. Kane

Of COURSE the Undertakers little brother was going to be on this list, how couldn't he? An unbelievable performer, who can be just as funny as anyone else without losing the intimidation factor. The only reason he's not as much of a favourite as his brother is because he just never really had that "indestructible" factor that the Undertaker has. I guess that's just a consequence of being the younger brother I guess. I love the chemistry he has with the Deadman, whether fighting alongside him or against him. In fact, one match I do enjoy is the Undertaker vs. Issac Yankem. Definitely something to go back and watch.

2. Wade Barrett

I swear this guy was Lord Flashheart in a past life (seriously, substitute "Boom" for "Wuff" and you'll see what I mean). He is easily the most HILARIOUS wrestler I have ever had the pleasure of watching (if you ever need a chuckle, just check out his Instagram). He just taps into my love of British comedy and I just lap it up. Even when he was with the Nexus and doing the "Barrett Barrage" he was just so fun to watch. Shame he looks like the bastard child of Blackadder and Arnold Rimmer, but hey, if they do a Blackadder reboot they could easily cast him in the title role (and shoehorn Cody Rhodes in as Baldrick).

1. Shawn Michaels

This guy MADE D-Generation X. He's hilarious on his own, but pair him with Triple H and I'm just gone. The difference between him and Hunter though is that without Shawn, Triple H just loses a bit of his shine, whereas Shawn can hold his own easily.  To me, he's almost equal with the Undertaker in how much I love him (although I didn't cry when Shawn retired). The single best part about HBK though has to be Sweet Chin Music. The number of times I've been watching someone ramble on and on and on on the mic and thought to myself "Gosh I wish HBK would just kick them and have it done with." are too many to count. His energy is amazing and it's hard not to get swept up in it.

On another note, for those who follow me on Instagram (@kezzstar24) and know of my tendency to go for extremely long walks, tomorrow I'm giving my 42km PB a shake. Hopefully if I can get the Charity Miles app working, I can make it count.

No comments:

Post a Comment