Tuesday 15 April 2014

Being ill sucks.

My head feels like it weighs a tonne, my sinuses ache and I generally feel like poo.  Worst of all is that I can't get to work, and I feel like I'm letting my co-workers down, even though I'm probably doing them a huge favour by staying home and not infecting them.  My fever seems to have cooled off for now thankfully, and hopefully with a bit of luck I'll be able to get to work tomorrow.

I really wish though that more people would stay at home if they're ill - but with the way the world is, can they really afford to?  With jobs at a premium in this day and age, many people feel like they have to show up at work come hell or high water just to put a roof over their heads and food on the table.  While I know my manager would rather us stay at home and not put the entire team out of comission, I'm more than willing to bet there are a thousand managers out there who don't particularly care, and who put the pressure on their employees to work themselves to death.  A lot is made of work/life balance, but I think a lot of it is just talk.  Big fat-cat CEOs who only think of themselves and their paycheques are insisting that more get done with less, to hell with the price.  Hell, even in our company, we're now "resources".  NO, I am not a "resource", I am a human being with my own health, hopes, dreams, wants and needs, my co-workers are human with their own wants and needs, and it's time that people stepped back from their greed and realised that people are getting hurt.  But it won't change so long as there are a few in power who have control of the money that we mere mortals down below need to get by, because they certainly don't want to relinquish that power.

But for now, because someone felt that they had no choice but to travel while they were ill, I am now stuck in bed feeling sore and sorry for myself, and my co-workers are probably struggling to pick up the slack.  Life's not fair sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment